Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Morning Commute: Co-workers

Pinned Image
Classy work outfit

As you work with someone, a bond is formed, it can spring up from a mutual hatred of a boss, mutual understanding of an intensive workload, or just having neighboring cubicles.

Interning at a small government agency has exposed me to an array of co-workers ranging from the hilarious, to the intellectual, to the complainers, to the plain weird.  

Although I feel like I have been blessed with this amazing cast of characters, I could never see my self being friends with any of them outside of the work world. 

I equate my co-workers to a plain flat that "will do" but nothing compared to my real friends, sky high stiletto pumps that will triple my confidence. 

Okay, slightly harsh, but I consider the relationship with my co-workers a convenience friendship. If you stripped away my work bubble, I am left with a bunch of people I have nothing in common with anymore. 

Most of my co-workers have kids, even MORE have grandchildren, who I love hearing about but not as the only topic of conversation we have. 

This is probably wishful thinking but I hope my new "big girl job" is filled with eye-candy and very chill girls. 

Pinned Image
Daniel Henney

Work Spouse.

Definition: is a co-worker, usually of the opposite sex, having bonds similar to those of a marriage; such as confidences, loyalties, shared experiences, and a degree of honesty or openness. The work spouse is a potentially key relation ship when one's actually significant other is not able to be there. 

According to this definition, I am possibly the "work wife" of 2-3 of my male co-workers, even though I do not consider any them my "work husband". They often visit my cube whenever they are in need of a break or just passing by, looking for a quick chat or in depth conversation.

This relationship is in no way sexual or inappropriate, it's a break from the mundane tasks we have set out for us daily. A quick kick back to the more exciting side of life! It's also easier for the work spouse to understand complaints and happenings within the work bubble because of their first hand experience. 

I know one of my co-workers, B comes to me to complain or take some of the burden off his shoulders. I think it's actually really healthy for him to unload his frustrations to me at work, rather than bring all of the negativity home to his family. And if we can share a laugh or two along the way, why not?

I haven't found my perfect work husband yet, but I hope he looks like Daniel Henney up there!

For more info on work spouses, check out the wiki article here


No comments:

Post a Comment