Saturday, August 4, 2012

Road Block: Cutting Off My Security Blanket

Pinned Image 

I LOVE MY LONG HAIR. 

And that is an understatement. Not only do I love the way it looks, the elegance, the feminine allure, I also love hiding behind it. It is by far the biggest security blanket I use to protect and literally shield myself from my own negative self image. 

I am my own worst critic, hater, judge, and enemy.

Insecurities will always plague me. When I used to look in the mirror, I hated what I saw. Everything was too big. GIGANTIC. ENORMOUS. HUGE

I used my hair to cover up everything I didn't like. Placing it over my body made me feel good, feel safe

It's just so comfortable having my long hair with me. So comfortable, that I have never been satisfied with a haircut, no matter how little they cut. My hair has been enabling me, it has been letting my negative body image win, to survive.  

After a long discussion with my best friends last night, filled with excitement and anxiety, numerous googled pictures of "a-line haircuts", I think I'm ready for a change. Scared sh*tless but ready. 

This is not just a haircut. 

This will be the first step long stride towards shedding my insecurities. Learning to love myself, long hair or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment